The work of Sir William Tite, architect of St James, Gerrards Cross, shows an eclectic stylist at work. The Pantheon influenced his design for the rebuilding of the Royal Exchange in 1844, his 1848 Carlisle Station was in a neo-Tudor style whilst his chapels for cemeteries were in the then much favoured Gothic Revival. However, when he was commissioned by Anna and Louisa Reid to design a church for Gerrards Cross, he worked in the Byzantine style, creating a light-filled handsome interior for the Grade 2 listed church built in 1859 on a cruciform plan with an octagonal dome.
During the preparatory work the pulpit and old pews were removed, revealing beautiful scagliola columns which, with the rounded Byzantine arches in the chancel and between the columns are the defining feature of the space, and becoming the architectural elements that found their way into the new sanctuary furniture and commissioned from Treske of Thirsk.
The celebrants chairs have back panels supported by stainless steel rods set into the panel and frame. The readers have similar panels and shelves for kneeler or books, whilst the bases of legs on all the celebrants chairs have a carved groove a few centimeters from the floor, a reference to nearby ornamented column bases.
Sir William Tite gave Gerrards Cross an impressive church in terms of scale and ambition and any nave furniture has to be similarly confident; it also has to be flexible in use by today’s congregations. To complement the newly uncluttered aesthetic of the church Treske modified their popular Ripon Cathedral St Wilfrid’s stacking chair, making two hundred and fifty chairs for the nave. The unity of the whole is extremely pleasing, whilst the diverse purposes to which a modern congregation wishes their church building to be put are well served.
Old and uncomfortable pews were replacd by specially designed chairs and benches in this East Yorkshire village Church's refurbishment scheme.
Fully upholstered bespoke curved and straight benches were designed by Treske to fit on the existing balcony at Putney Community Church.
Treske made a mixture of St Mary's chairs and benches as well as St Nicholas folding chairs for St Nicholas, Great Kimble.