The Chapel of Justice and Peace in Ripon Cathedral, designed by Patrick Crawford and Beate Neumerkel of Caroe & Partners Architects, is primarily defined through its use of natural materials and warm lighting which create an intimate space or sanctuary within the larger space of the Cathedral.
Treske made the altar table, chairs and altar rail from solid fumed oak sections held together by bronzed steel, while the simple shapes which support the rail and table complement the surrounding stonework in a gesture expressing invitation, welcome and blessing.
This latest addition to the 1300 year-old cathedral in North Yorkshire was consecrated in 2006 by the Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, and occupies the stone plinth of the ancient consistory court at the west end of the northern aisle.
Treske have also made 300 new oak chairs for the nave to meet the needs of a modern place of worship and venue for musical events, re-cycling the old pews into tables which were sold to raise funds for the cathedral. Two of these tables were exported by Treske to Japan.
The commitment to imagination and craftsmanship in their respective fields by all those who have contributed ensured that the newest addition to Ripon Cathedral's ancient fabric will inspire those who visit and worship today.
Sanctuary furniture supplied by Treske completed the restoration by RIBA conservation architects Anthony Grimshaw Associates of the once derelict St Martin's Church.
Treske's brief was to provide seating for up to sixteen with the capacity to extend to twenty-four, with an altar as the central focus. All the furniture makes an eloquent case for 21st century style and craftsmanship in an historic setting.
Nearly 300 bespoke oak chairs made by Treske have replaced the old pews in the nave of Ripon Cathedral, and are now also being used in the choir.