The earliest parts of St Mary's in the centre of Melton Mowbray date from the late 1100's. The massive tower overlooks the town and is the centre of the cruciform layout with aisled trancepts. The church has been undergoing a widespread reordering to improve the accessibility and fabric. This has involved laying new floors on one level, and new sound and lighting systems managed from an AV desk purpose made by Treske who coordinated with WigWam Accoustics over the layout and installation.
The furniture for the reorder is being made after careful consideration. Treske have made the altar and lectern, as well as a paschal candle stand that doubles as a flower stand. Celebrant chairs have also been made. The furniture, including the AV desk, carries the trefoil insignia of the church.
The lectern and altar both have interchangeable frontals which have been upholstered by Juliet Hemingray Church Textiles. The furniture was designed and made with these frontals in mind to create a large visual display area underneath the altar and lectern surfaces.
Treske's brief was to provide seating for up to sixteen with the capacity to extend to twenty-four, with an altar as the central focus. All the furniture makes an eloquent case for 21st century style and craftsmanship in an historic setting.
New sanctuary furniture designed and made by Treske joined the original benches made by Treske in the 1980's as part of a major reorder and reorientation of the church.
New chancel furniture for St Michael's, Framlingham comprises of a Celebrant's chair, two side chairs, four low back chairs with shelves that extend from under the seats, an altar, lectern, portable lectern or legilium, credence table, processional candle stands and a Paschal candle stand, all in limed oak.