At St Deiniol’s Library at Hawarden in North Wales, founded by William Ewart Gladstone in 1889, a new chapel has been built. The late Victorian style of the original building is evoked in its interior detailing and was the source of inspiration for the specially made chairs and wall-hung book cases commissioned from Treske.
Made in European oak, the chairs have an under-seat shelf for books and the client chose antiqued tan leather for the seat covers. They are strong enough in their design and materials to bring the attention down from the ceiling yet not so assertive as to seem to compete with it. (Similar designs from Treske can stack up to 5 high but this was not a requirement.)
The wall-hung bookshelves have a hint of the Gothic in their pointed side panels and a nod in the direction of Arts and Crafts in the curved base shelf.
The chapel serves many functions: for private contemplation, group worship by any denomination and as a retreat venue on a residential or daily basis.
In its interior detailing the new chapel evokes the architectural style and era of the original building of St Deiniol's designed by John Douglas in 1899.
Treske of Thirsk were selected to provide new oak seating to replace the old pine pews, using a mixture of rush seated oak chairs, folding chairs and benches.
In partneship with Ron Sims Architect, a new altar, glazed internal porch, side screens and a new servery, complete with fittings and appliances, were made and installed by Treske for this historic church.
St Nicholas Church, Cuddington had stacking benches and chairs made by Treske as part of their church reordering.