All Saints, Winterton is a beautiful, 11th century North Lincolnshire Grade 1-listed church. It is, by some stretch, the most important listed building in the town, whose residents are justifiably proud of the historic jewel in their midst. With its Anglo-Norman tower and nave, medieval aisles, chancel and transepts, All Saints has a distinctive heritage. But the church has also constantly reinvented itself with a series of restorations from the mid-17th century to today, ensuring it meets the new challenges presented by changing times and congregations.
It was during one such restoration that the earliest history of the church was revealed. It is now accepted that the west end of a nave, which is now part of the present tower, was constructed before the Norman Conquest in 1066. The present nave, aisles and transept are of the Early English period and were officially dedicated by the Bishop of Bangor in 1203. The dedication of the chancel followed some 42 years later and the main features of the church, apart from the alterations to the roof and windows, remain intact today.
The new furniture was designed, made and installed by Treske and included nearly 220 side, arm and folding chairs, hymn book and Parish room cabinets including choir vestry cupboards and a historical wind instrument display, a specifically designed altar and one memorial book stand.
Treske’s attention to detail, which included incorporating crosses from an older altar top into the new altar, combined with craftsmanship, was used to create church furniture to complement the high standard of the restoration.
The transformation has been astonishing. The restoration, which is on-going dependent on funds, has been a resounding success, thanks mainly to the expertise and commitment of our architect, Brian Foxley, our builders, Aura Conservation and the suppliers of our church furniture, Treske. Together they have done an absolutely magnificent job.
Robin Shawyer, Winterton Church treasurer
Designs for a moveable altar table, ambo, credence table, chair and stool were inspired by the Victorian transept arches of St Chad's. Made in fumed oak which will darken with time, the furniture is clearly contemporary yet sympathetic to its setting. Two hundred and fifty oak chairs with book troughs were also commissioned, forty with arms.
Major good fortune enables Holy Trinity to undertake a complete reorder, including sanctuary, choir and nave furniture from Treske.
As part of a wide-ranging modernisation of the interior of the church, which was completely emptied of the old box pews, Treske designed and manufactured 36 oak stacking benches, 24 oak side chairs and 16 oak armchairs, together with a special altar table.