St Martin-in-the-Fields in Trafalgar Square is a landmark church and one of the most visited churches in London. The church is a famous venue for social care, music and the arts, as well as worship.
As part of the St Martin renewal project Treske made new oak choir stalls and bench pews capable of seating the entire choir yet manoeuvrable and able to be raised up and down for performances and services. The hand crafted furniture exactly matches the profiles and colour of the existing 18th century furniture designed by the architect James Gibb in 1726.
The 18th centrury building had been failing for some time and the renewall project costing £38million, to create accessable and appropriate spaces for all its contemporary activities is now complete.
The commission came via Eric Parry Architects and the project’s main contractor, Costain.
Imaginative architectural solutions have been found for a complex and busy site, while Treske were entusted with the manufacture of innovative seating which will be in constant daily use for many decades to come.
Designs for a moveable altar table, ambo, credence table, chair and stool were inspired by the Victorian transept arches of St Chad's. Made in fumed oak which will darken with time, the furniture is clearly contemporary yet sympathetic to its setting. Two hundred and fifty oak chairs with book troughs were also commissioned, forty with arms.
For All Saints Church in North Lincolnshire Treske designed, made and installed nearly 220 side, arm and folding chairs, hymn book and Parish room cabinets including choir vestry cupboards and a historical wind instrument display, a specifically designed altar and one memorial book stand.
New sanctuary furniture designed and made by Treske joined the original benches made by Treske in the 1980's as part of a major reorder and reorientation of the church.